Newer browser versions perform better, are generally more secure, and offer better support for the newer
features that we continue to develop. Click here to download the most recent version of Internet Explorer.
Pittsboro - A brief history
Receive alerts when a real estate change occurs near you!
We take great pride in our ability to recruit, train, and retain the finest quality real estate professionals.
Pittsboro was established as a town in 1785. The Chatham County Court House stood on land belonging to Miles Scurlock. However, in 1787, the legislature declared that a town could not be established on Scurlock's land. The town's trustees instead purchased adjacent land belonging to William Petty and laid out the town. That same year, Pittsboro was officially named the county seat. Although Chatham County is named for William Pitt, 1st Earl of Chatham, Pittsboro is named for his son, William Pitt the Younger.
Pittsboro was once considered as a potential site for both the University of North Carolina and the state capitol, but lost out to Chapel Hill (University of North Carolina site) and Raleigh, 34 miles northeast of Pittsboro. Charles M. Stedman, the last Civil War veteran to serve in Congress, was born in Pittsboro on January 29, 1841.
Residents of Pittsboro embrace small town values of respect for one another and a strong sense of community. Its people are a diverse group of artists and farmers, merchants and students, and it is home to the North Carolina Zen Center. Pittsboro supports software developers, bio-fuel research and production, antique shops and art galleries. There are a number of exceptional pottery artists in the Pittsboro area. Central Carolina Community College offers a core curriculum as well as continuing education in such areas as Sustainable Agriculture and Alternative Building Techniques.
Visit Pittsboro today!